How to Root and Unroot Samsung Galaxy Y Duos GT-S6102
Published on December 12th, 2012
This guide will show you a step by step procedure on how to root Samsung Galaxy Y Duos GT-S6102 and how to unroot the Galaxy Y Duos. The Galaxy Y Duos is basically the dual SIM version of the popular entry level Galaxy Y S5360 android phone. Please read the warning, disclaimer and the instructions before rooting your phone.
WARNING: Rooting your Samsung Galaxy Y Duos is potentially dangerous. It may temporarily brick or permanently brick your phone. Rooting will also void warranty. Proceed with caution. You will ultimately be liable for your actions. Do this at your own risk!
Must Read Article -> The Android Rooting Guide: Things You Need to Know
DISCLAIMER: I do not have a Galaxy Y Duos to test this procedure and I haven’t tried this steps yet. This guide is a reblog from an XDA Developer Forum thread and other Android related sites.
Prerequisites in Rooting Galaxy Y Duos
1. Make sure your phone has 70% or more power left
2. Enable “USB Debugging” by going to Settings -> Applications -> Development and make sure the USB Debugging is selected or checked.
3. Turn off or disable any firewall or antivirus that you have previously installed on your phone.
4. Back up your phone via Samsung Kies, or better yet make a backup ROM of your phone so that you can restore your phone if something unwanted happens. Use ClockWorkMod Recovery for Samsung Galaxy Y Duos. I’ll provide the instructions and download linke below.
5. For rooting your phone, download the update.zip file here. DO NOT UNZIP!
6. For unrooting your phone, download the unroot.zip file here. DO NOT UNZIP!
How to Install CWM Recovery for Galaxy Y Duos GT-S6102
ClockWorkMod Recovery or CWM has many uses. Aside from having the ability to create Nandroid backup and restore, you can install custom ROMS and do other stuffs via CWM recovery. A must have for Android users.
To install CWM Recovery on your Galaxy Y Duos simply do the following:
1. Download CWM-6102.zip here
2. Copy the CWM-6102.zip on the root of your sdCard. DO NOT UNZIP!
3. Turn off your phone and reboot into recovery by pressing Home + Volume Up + Power keys at the same time.
4. Choose update from sdCard
5. Look for the CWM-6102.zip and select it.
Now you should be running CWM Recovery by now.
How to Backup Galaxy Y Duos via CWM Recovery
After you have installed CWM Recovery for your phone, simply navigate or look for the backup option and choose to create a backup of your phone. Make sure you have enough storage space in your external sdCard since Nandroid backup takes a lot of space. It’s basically a backup of your entire phone.
How to Root Samsung Galaxy Y Duos GT-S6102
1. Copy the update.zip file to the root of your sdcard
2. Turn off your phone and reboot into recovery mode by pressing Home + Volume Up + Power keys at the same time.
3. Choose to install zip from SD card and choose zip from sd card.
4. Look for the update.zip that you have copied on the root of your sd card and apply the update.
5. Alternatively you can choose the apply sdcard:update.zip option
6. After it has finished rooting your phone, reboot your system and your phone is now rooted
7. If you don’t see a Super User app installed in your phone, go to Google play and download one. You will need the Super User app to grant apps that requires root access.
How to Unroot Samsung Galaxy Y Duos GT-S6102
Unrooting your Samsung Galaxy Y Duos is much easier than rooting it. The steps are just the same as rooting your phone.
1. Copy the unroot.zip file to the root of your sd card. Again DO NOT UNZIP the file.
2. Go to recovery mode
3. Choose to install zip from SD card
4. This time choose the unroot.zip file
5. Apply the changes and wait
6. Your phone should now be unrooted
Hope this guide helps. Please consider sharing it to your friends or network.