How to Root Starmobile Astra and Install CWM Recovery
Starmobile Astra is one of the promising, not to mention cheap, Android smartphones available in the Philippines. Now that you got your Starmobile Astra, what’s next? Just like any other Android smartphone, even the high end ones, it’s time to root your phone. Please read the warning, disclaimer and faqs first below before proceeding on the instructions on how to root Starmobile Astra and install CWM Recovery.
Must Read Article -> The Android Rooting Guide: Things You Need to Know
1. Is rooting your phone necessary or required?
Not at all, but if you want further customization or install apps that requires root access, then rooting your phone is required.
2. Will rooting your phone void warranty?
3. What can you do with the rooted phone?
Customize, tweak, overclock, undervolt, change theme, backup the whole ROM, gain access to root files and directory, and many more.
4. What is the CWM Recovery for?
It’s basically a program that lets you create a whole back up of your phone, or a ROM, and restore the created back up. Very useful when you are trying out custom roms or when you accidentally soft-brick your phone.
5. How to root Starmobile Astra?
Read the guide below.
How to Root Starmobile Astra
1. Make sure the right drivers are installed on your computer. You can either download and install MTK6577 driver, MEDIATEK VCOM USB Drivers, PDA.net, SuperOneClick or if you are running Windows 7 and is connected to the internet, your PC will automatically install the drivers.
2. Download Root with Restore by Bin4ry here.
3. Turn on or check the USB Debugging and Install From Unknown Sources from your phone’s settings.
4. Connect the Astra to PC via USB cable.
5. Unzip the downloaded Root with Restore by Bin4ry in your computer.
6. Double click or Run/Execute the Runme.bat file
7. From the menu choose 1 and hit Enter (Device Type – Normal)
8. The Starmobile should ask you to Restore after a while and it will Reboot.
9. The rooting processing will continue after reboot until you see a SUCCESSFUL message.
10. Your Starmobile Astra should now be rooted.
How to Install CWM Recovery for Starmobile Astra
1. Download the files Astra Recovery.Zip here.
2. Connect the Astra to your PC
3. Unzip the downloaded file and extract the recovery.img and mu7577.apk on your SDCard. Don’t place it inside a folder, just extract both files outside
4. Install mu7577.apk or the Mobileuncle Tools
5. After installing, run the Mobileuncle Tools and choose Recovery Update
6. Choose recovery file in SDcard
7. When ask for root permission choose GRANT IT
8. CWM Recovery should now be installed on your phone and you can now make backups, restore or install custom roms.
Just be careful when using the CWM Recovery. If you accidentally installed a ROM that is not for your phone, who knows what might happen. It could damage your phone permanently.