Samsung Galaxy R is Now Official
Published on August 2nd, 2011
Samsung Galaxy R is now official after being renamed from Samsung Galaxy Z
The Samsung Galaxy R is also known as I9103 is a “downgraded” version of Samsung Galaxy S 2 i9100. Galaxy R is expected to be cheaper and target consumers who wants a Galaxy S II but could not afford one.
What’s the difference between Galaxy R and Galaxy S II?
- Galaxy R is slightly thicker, with a thickness of 9.55mm as compared to 8.49mm of Galaxy S II.
- Camera is also downgraded from 8 megapixels to 5 megapixels.
- Front-facing Camera is also downgraded to 1.3 megapixels instead of 2 megapixels.
- Video capture in Galaxy R is down to 720p instead of 1080p in Galaxy S II.
- It has also a slightly smaller display of 4.19″ as compared to Galaxy S II’s 4.3″ display.
- Galaxy R uses WVGA Super Clear LCD screen while Galaxy S II has Super AMOLED display.
- The Galaxy R comes with a new dual-core Tegra 2 processor which replaces Samsung’s 1.2GHz Exynos.
- Galaxy R is made out of both metal and plastic giving it a more solid feeling compared to Galaxy S 2.
Check out Galaxy R Specifications below:
- Processor: Dual-Core 1GHz ARM Cortex A9
- GPU: Nvidia GeForce Tegra 2 chipset
- Memory: 1GHz RAM, 2GB ROM
- Built-in Storage: 8GB
- Memory Expansion: microSD/microSDHC up to 32GB
- OS: Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)
- Display: 4.19” WVGA Super Clear LCD (480×800 pixels)
- Camera: 5 Megapixels Auto Focus w/ LED Flash
- Front Facing Camera: 1.3MP front-facing camera
- Video Capture: 1280×720 (720p @ 30fps)
- Video Codec : MPEG4/H.263/H.264/H263.Sorenson/Divx/Xvid/VC-1
- Playback : Full HD 1080p@30fps(Divx, WMV, MP4, H.264 B/P only)
- Audio Codec : MP3, OGG, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, WMA, WAV, MID, AC3, IMY, AAC(Mono)
- Music Player with SoundAlive EQ, Music Recognition
- 3.5mm Ear Jack, Stereo FM Radio with RDS
- Network: HSPA + 21Mbps / HSUPA 5.76Mb EDGE/GPRS Class 12
- Network: EDGE, HSUPA 5.76Mb, HSDPA 21Mb, GSM 850 900 1800 1900
- Connectivity: Bluetooth technology v 3.0 + HS; USB 2.0 HS; Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n; Wi-Fi directGPS with aGPS support
- Sensor: Accelerometer, Digital compass, Proximity, Light, Gyroscope
- Dimension: 125.7mm x 66.7mm x 9.55mm
- Weight: 131g
- Battery: Li-Ion 1650 mAh
Samsung Galaxy R has been released in Europe, that’s why some tech blogs in Europe have already reviews of the said smartphone. Galaxy R will soon arrive in the Philippines and is expected to be here by Q3 of 2011.
As for Samsung Galaxy R price here in the Philippines, no word or details yet. But it’s sure to be cheaper compared to Galaxy S II.
Watch this Samsung Galaxy R demo video: