Drobo B1200i 12-Bay SAN with 12TB and 24TB Gets Discounted (Price Drop)
Published on July 19th, 2012
The Drobo B1200i, which is the flagship of the award-winning data storage products from SMB-IT, gets a price drop in online store. Three of the well known online stores offers discounts for the Drobo B1200i 12-Bay SAN with 12TB (2x2TB) and 24TB (6x2TB) hard drives included. You can find more details below.
Recommended readings: Western Digital Red NAS hard drives.
The Drobo B1200i is built with cutting edge technology and features like BeyondRaid Technology, automated date-aware tiering, smart volumes with thin provisioning, designed for IT environments and optimized business applications. It has also achieved VMware ready status (highest level of endorsement) with vSphere 5.0 certification. Below you can see Drobo B1200i’s full specification, Drobo B1200i performance (confirmed by ESG Lab), and where you can buy Drobo B1200i with discounted prices.
Drobo B1200i Specs
- 3 x 100 / 1000 Mbps Ethernet port for data (iSCSI)
- 1 x 100 / 1000 Mbps Ethernet port for management
- 12 drive bays for hard disk drives or solid state drives (click here for SSD compatibility)
- 3.5″ SAS-1/SAS-2 drives
- 3.5” SATA I / SATA II / SATA III drives
- Expandable by adding drives or hot-swapping drives with larger ones. Use the 12-bay Capacity Calculator to estimate available storage in various configurations
- Thin Provisioning
- Instant Expansion
- Mixed Drive Size Utilization
- Automatic Protection Levels
- Dual Disk Redundancy
- Virtual Hot Spare
- Data Aware
- Drive Re-ordering
Additional Software Features
- Automated Data-Aware Tiering
- Smart Volumes (LUNs, up to 255)
- Drive Spin Down
- Drobo Copy
- One (1) year warranty in the US or outside the EU or two (2) year warranty in the EU (as provided by EU law)
- CHAP Authentication
- Connection Failover
- Jumbo frames (up to 9000 bytes MTU)
- Drive bay indicator lights, capacity gauge, status lights
- Drobo Dashboard version 2.0 or later
Operating System Support
- Mac OS X Server 10.5.8 or later (Intel Only)
- Mac OS X Server 10.6.8 or later (Intel Only)
- Windows Server 2003 R2 SP1 32 and 64 bit
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 64 bit
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 (Intel only)
- VMware vSphere 4.1.x (ESXi)
- VMware vSphere 5.0.x (ESXi)
- Citrix XenServer 5.6
File System Options
- Mac OS X: HFS+
- Windows: NTFS, FAT32
- Linux: ext3
- VMware vSphere: VMFS
- Citrix XenServer: LVM
- Carrier-less Drive Bays
- Field replaceable controller card, power supplies, and cooling fan unit
Size and Weight
- 3U rack mount form factor (rack mount kit included)
- Width: 17.17 in (436.1 mm)
- Height: 5.20 in (132.1 mm)
- Depth: 21.85 in (555.0 mm)
- Weight: 47 lb (without hard drives or packaging)
Power and Cooling
- Dual, redundant, hot-swappable power supplies: AC Input – 100/240 VAC, 8/5 A, 50/60 Hz
- Redundant, hot swappable cooling unit
- Operating Temperature: 10°C – 35°C (50° – 95°F)
- Non-Operating Temperature (storage): -10° – 60°C (14° – 140°F)
- Operating Humidity: 20% – 80%
- Environmental: RoHS, WEEE, REACH
- Regulatory: FCC Part 15 Class A; Canada ICES-003 Class B; CE Mark; CISPR22:19973rd Edition Class B; MIC Mark; VCCI Approval to V.3; BSMI Approval to CNS13438; ACA Approval to AS/NZS 3548
- Safety: UL, cUL, TUV, CB
- Drobo B1200i
- Rack mount installation guide
- Rack mount parts
- 2 x 6 ft power cords
- Getting Started Guide (printed)
- Resource CD, which includes Drobo Dashboard application
Drobo B1200i Performance
Last July 10, 2012 ESG Lab report confirms that the Drobo B1200i performance can easily support the application demands of today’s small and mid-sized business: e-mail, database, and file services. Below is the gist of the lab report:
- The Drobo B1200i with automated tiering easily scales to over 1,200 Microsoft Exchange mailboxes, providing significant headroom for growth for SMBs.
- The B1200i also achieved exceptional response time results for mixed, real-world workloads, including email plus file serving plus online transaction processing (OLTP). The B1200i scaled to support a database for 43 concurrent users (approximately 4,300 customers) and a server workload of over 10,000 users.
- The flagship Drobo system also proved strong streaming performance of nearly 300 MB/sec for data protection, video on demand, and other capacity-oriented applications.
Drobo B1200i IOPs
If you are going to ask, how many IOPs can the B1200i achieve, the answer would vary. According to its support:
Drobo tests for IOPS using a combination of workloads from virtual machines, physical Windows servers, as well as from test tools (e.g. Iometer, IOzone), programmed with typical traffic patterns. The use of synthetic patterns, which can produce inflated IOP numbers, are not useful when sizing the array for real-world applications.
Under mixed loads and sustained production use, conservatively speaking, one can expect approximately 450 IOPS for the B1200i.
Please note that many Drobo customers as well as Drobo’s own technical personnel have achieved higher numbers for the B1200i (e.g. 800 to 2200 IOPs).
Where to buy Drobo B1200i
Moving on, I’m pretty sure that you or your company have already a good idea about Drobo B1200i, right? And you’re just searching where you can get or buy it at the lowest possible price. Hardware like these do not come cheap. They are expensive! But based on these three online stores they have already dropped their prices or given a discount that includes a 12TB/24TB hard drives.
*Prices are subject to change without prior notice. By the time you visited this site, prices might have change. It’s best to check them out.