WD Se – First Enterprise-Class HDD for Exploding Scale-out Data Center Market
Published on June 7th, 2013
WD has recently announced their latest cost-effective, high capacity, low power hard drive validated in WD’s Real-World Hadoop® environment – the WD Se Hard Drives. The WD Se drives are not only ideal for Data Centers, but also for SMB and Mid-Sized NAS Deployments as well. Check out more details from the official press release below, specifications, price and where you can order one.
Western Digital recently announced availability of its innovative WD Se line of hard drives, the first designed for scale-out datacenter deployments. Built on an enterprise-grade platform for reliable 24x7x365 datacenter operation, WD Se is tailored to deliver the right combination of performance, reliability and robustness for large-scale replicated environments, mid-sized network attached storage (NAS) deployment, and backup/archiving applications.
WD Se is a true enterprise-class drive with the right blend of affordability and capabilities to address the massive growth of semi-structured data, which is accelerating the scale-out of datacenters of all sizes. Now shipping in capacities up to 4 TB, the new WD Se hard drives enables customers to balance their data growth challenges in multi-drive enclosures without compromising enterprise-class features.
According to Richard E. Rutledge, senior vice president of WD’s datacenter storage business unit: “Today’s cloud datacenter installations require a cost-effective way to build large-scale storage systems, while maintaining the 24×7 reliability necessary to minimize total cost of ownership,” “WD’s utilization of vast amounts of manufacturing and engineering data has forced us – like many other companies – to use map-reduce methodologies to effectively analyze our data. The WD Se hard drives are used in our own big datacenter, where we have gained real-world experience with Apache™ Hadoop®.”
WD Se drives also address the fast-growing SMB to mid-range network-attached storage (NAS) market. The robust enterprise-class design and higher workload capabilities for SMB-focused 6-bay-plus table-top NAS units and rack-mount multi-tenant NAS solutions with up to 24 bays, provide NAS integrators a complement to WD Red™ hard drives, which are for small NAS systems. WD’s other datacenter hard drives – WD Xe™ and WD Re™ – round out the high-end of the NAS market, offering higher durability and performance for large-scale rack-based NAS systems. Together, WD Se, WD Xe, WD Re and WD Red™ provide a total portfolio of robust storage devices to match every size and scale of NAS deployment.
In addition to undergoing at least 5,000,000 hours of functional and thermal testing and over 20,000,000 hours of additional testing under actual workloads in server and storage systems, WD’s
WD Se Hard Drive Feature
- A dual processor for twice the processing power to maximize performance;
- Enhanced Rotary Acceleration Feed Forward (RAFF™) technology that includes sophisticated electronics to monitor the drive and correct both linear and rotational vibration in real time;
- Dual actuator technology improves head positional accuracy over the data track(s);
- StableTrac™ whereby the motor shaft is secured at both ends to reduce system-induced vibration and stabilize platters for accurate tracking during read and write operations delivering a consistent level of performance for applications;
- Multi-axis shock sensor automatically detects the subtlest shock events and compensates to protect the data;
- RAID-specific, time-limited error recovery (TLER) prevents drive fallout caused by the extended hard drive error-recovery processes common to desktop drives, and;
- Dynamic fly height technology where each read-write head’s fly height is adjusted in real time for optimum reliability.
WD Se Hard Drive Specifications
[table id=75 /]
WD Se Price and Where to Buy
The WD Se enterprise-class hard drives are available in three capacities, 2TB, 3TB and 4TB with model numbers WD2000F9YZ, WD3000F9YZ, and WD4000F9YZ respectively. It’s already available now in select distributors as well as online stores. These drives are covered by a five-year limited warranty. The 4TB model is priced around $300 USD and you can order now here.
Locally the Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) for the WD Se hard drives range from PHP 7990 to PHP 14, 990.